Friday, July 27, 2007

An Epic Battle

Wow. Both Games 1 and 3 went to the final frame tied 6-6. I think that I might have had a heart attack if the second game had been super close as well.

When it came down to the final frame of the night, I felt that it was such a shame that one team had to lose. Thankfully, Team Rod prevailed.

Game 1
Mitch and me
Jim and SHR

The Terrors took 3-0 and 5-2 leads and things looked bleak. But they just couldn't put us away. We took the opening and pounced. We all had some really clutch rolls in this game. They still had a chance to beat us at the end but couldn't do it.
7-6 Rod

Game 2
Beth and Mike
Dave and Sarah

The Terrors busted out with a 4-0 first frame lead and that was pretty much it. We got absolutely destroyed by a score of 7-1. I saw almost all of the game action during the match. However, one of the few that I missed involved a bit of controversy. Apparently, on a Beth roll, Team Rod thought that the ball did not hit the back wall. However, the Terrors called that it did even though at first, one of them said that it didn't. I'm not exactly sure what happened since I missed it but it got kind of loud there for a spell.
7-1 Terrors

Game 3
Mike and me
SHR and Jim

If Game 1 was tense, this one was even tenser because of the high stakes involved. It was back and forth. The Terrors took a 6-5 lead. I ended up placing our red ball right on the pallino. The Terrors had two balls left to knock ours out and win. Kaci almost placed her ball closer but couldn't quite do it. Then Chris knocked that green ball out of the way and we lived for another frame.

We were down to our last ball and the Terrors controlled the point. The pressure was on Jim. And he came through with a great roll. The last roll of the night fell to Dani. She rolled well but couldn't quite do it. Rod Wins! Who's going to update Wikipedia?
Thank you to the Sweet Meats for the many cheers of "Rod! Rod! Rod!"

So if you have the patience, check out these two movies of the night's festivities. They are both about six minutes long. I had no intention of making a movie at first. I was simply taking a few short movies to keep track of the action for blog purposes. Eventually, I decided to just keep taking movies of all the important action. If only I can learn how to take movies and roll at the same time!

Games 1 and 2

Game 3

Next time, I'm just bringing a notebook.

6 comments:

jamie said...

unbelievable match. and great for the rivalry too. one of these days we'll manage to beat you guys again, but for now we just have to take our hats off and call you our daddy (cue 2004 ALCS montage). i definitely have to take some blame for making my team more tense during Game 1 than they should have been.

as for the mini-controversy in Game 2, no one on our team said the ball was good. the problem arose because Mooney was standing right there and watched it hit the wall. but instead of grabbing it he made sort of an umpirish "you're out" motion with his thumb which made it look like he was pulling his hand away from a ball that had stayed in play. i was behind him and couldn't tell whether it had hit the wall, but he had no doubt. i told him just to grab it next time so there's not confusion - he was just trying to ratchet up the drama with his broad gesturing.

youthlarge said...

Whoa, this was so tense, I could only watch a minute at a time.

My last roll totally blew, but I'm glad Bocce Jim's did not!

Jamie, I guess some of the confusion was because while no one said it was good, no one came forward immediately to say it wasn't either. I didn't see Mooney's ump motion, but I did see him shrug his shoulders.

If these movies were on Netflix, I would give them 5 star ratings.

mas said...

Love the hushed narration. You are truly the Werner
Herzog of boccumentary.

youthlarge said...

Ooooh, good comparison, MAS!

China-Latina Chowhound said...

Obviously, I don't care if I hit the back wall and my ball is pulled as that is the rule. However, what seemed fishy was that I thought the ball was good, Traitor Terror congratulated me on an awesome roll, none of her teammates in the immediate vicinity contradicted her and there were four or five Terrors at the other end just kind of standing around not saying anything either way, one of whom was Mooney, hanging out with his thumb up in the air, a gesture universally known to be positive, provided we are not in ancient Rome. Sorry for the run-on! Regardless, fair is fair, so feel free to yank the fuck out of my balls when they hit the back wall, just don't be so ambiguous about it because then it looks suspicious and/or cheaty. Also, it was a good lesson for Rod. We should always have someone at both ends of the court, that way we won't have to take anyone else's word for it.

Anyway - great game! Hope to meet you guys again in the playoffs.

And boccumentary is making me laugh. Mitchard Dawson really has a way with words!

Jim said...

Great commentary! I think you should walk around New York making movies about random things that are happening around you. And maybe you could set up a helmet cam (like on American Gladiators) to make a movie about a squash game as you're playing against Mooney. The crappy techno made for an amusing backdrop as well. I like that guy, but his music has got to go.