Monday, February 20, 2006

If You Want My Bocce Hits a Rough Patch

Week 3

Game 1
Fresh from the tough loss against the N.Y. Yankees of Floyd NY, IYWMB came together for the first time with their brand new shirts. Alas, Chewbocce was too strong and IYWMB didn't play so well.

The green rookies "Down the Gasoline Bocce" Glen and "Dirty Weekend" Jane held their own on their end. But they and the veterans "Reason to Believe" Mike and "The Balltrap" Jim squandered chances to put the first game away.

Final Score
7-6

Game
"Hot Legs" Dan and "One Part Handbags to Two-and-a-Half Parts Gladrags" Dave stunk up the joint. "Gettin' Hungry" Slice and "Downtrain Train" Mitch weren't much better. The disapproving looks of the Coffee Flatters, the tenacious play of Chewbocce, and the tight play of the Good Guys, led to a humilating defeat.

Final Score
7-0

Pathetic.

We have the next week off and I think we need to clear our heads and reassess what we stand for as competitors, as a team, as people.

And we'll be back on the court soon, hoping to even our record.

Gettin' Hungry took a lot of photos but since he's currently conquering Amsterdam, I guess they won't get posted here for awhile.

In other bocce news, the Coffee Flats Terrors have added a new team member after kicking out three of their championship squad because they didn't have shirts. If dominating the league, winning the championship, and putting numbers on jerseys wasn't enough to draw the ire of bocce squads all over Brooklyn, this latest display of arrogance surely isn't going to help matters. Hmpf.

9 comments:

youthlarge said...

wild cherry sara sounds like a handful. "flock of tools" - i didn't know people still used the term tool that way. who is the new coffee flatster?

Jim said...

I hated having all the CFTs sitting there watching. I'm way too self-conscious for that shit. Also, while I think the idea of photos is great and all, I think being photographed as I am preparing to toss kind of threw me off. Then again, what doesn't throw me off. Besides the crowd/onlooker factor, excuses for my crappy play Saturday, in order of plausibility: 1. It was too cold in Floyd so I had 2 t-shirts on under my Rod t-shirt, making my torso all tight and inflexible; 2. My skills are not as sharp when throwing from the back of the bar toward the front 3. I was not drunk enough, having only started my first beer as we stepped on the court to play.

I say we have another meet-and-greet, considering there are new team members and all. Also, we should try different combinations of playing together, to shake things up. I may play shirtless next time to make sure I'm really loose. I can wear the IFWYB shirt as a headband.

Listmaker said...

jim,
duly noted on your preference of where to play. and yes,i'll mix things up. i just thought you and mike liked playing together. and adam and mitch are so good together.

let's plan on getting together the following week some night in preparation for our next match.

bottom line though is that we just aren't rolling well. but we plenty of time to get our act together.

as far as coffee flats there, i see what you are saying but if we cna't win with their mere presence there, we definitely have no chance of actually ever beating them. oh well, we still have our integrity -- which we might lose if you start playing shirtless.

youthlarge,
check the coffee flats blog. someone i don't know played for them last week.

Listmaker said...

hey man, the ire isn't directed at you. it isn't your fault that have associated yourself with a bunch of folks who make the bush administation look honest.

Jim said...

I vouch for Matt as an all-around good guy. As a new enthusiast of bocce it's only natural that he'd want to participate, so I don't blame the Terrors for welcoming him into the fold. Also: since he lives right across from 38 St. Mark's, he's one of the few actual residents of Coffee Flats.

While I don't share Dan's fanatical antipathy toward our former team, thinking of them as "the enemy" is kind of fun. But let's forbid any future comparisons of anyone we know to the Bush administration. Maybe compare them to the Yankees or something...an evil presence, but not evil incarnate like Cheney et al.

Listmaker said...

jim,

point taken. the yankees don't lie as much as bush and co. that is why i likened them to bush.

Anonymous said...

Jim: Sorry about the photo-taking. You must have been giving off "DON'T SHOOT ME" vibes, because right after you rolled, I sensed that I probably shouldn't be taking pix of you. I'll refrain in the future. But ... I want to get a really good action shot of you rolling at some point, so maybe during a practice roll, where it doesn't count.

Same goes for the rest of you. I'll stop taking pix while you're rolling. I can be annoying with the camera at times. I hardly think twice about snapping photos anywhere, so I fails to register that it could be bothering people.

Anonymous said...

shoot away. nothing's going to throw me off. i have bigger fish to fry. i have han.

Anonymous said...

I'd shoot away IF you started coming to matches, YL!