Monday, March 06, 2006

Match report: March 4th Double header.

Game one: Cobra Kai.

I awoke from headcold induced slumber at 2pm. Beth offered me a seductive choice, I could either lie a bed all day sweating and probably get a foul night's sleep or I could muster some temporary strength and go play Bocce.
By 2.30 I was at Floyd's being berated for lack of T shirt and my general sniffly demeanor. What can you do? Cap'n Dan was all boisterous and pumped us up with heart shaped candy! Fumbling about in the dark I saw Mitch, Jim, Adam, Mike and Mr Nelson.
All wearing their marvellous green T shirts, pumped up on candy.
I was whacked out on an instant Dayquil hit and initally offered Dan that I would sit out.
All I really recall was that we could have beaten this lot. They had a really good girl and a guy with Rock hair who would tug at his pant leg just prior to bowling. Mr Nelson spotted that. A couple of Coffee Flats boys turned up to watch us, a nice touch.
Modesty should prevent me from mentioning my 'Champagne Moment'. It was a great shot and I grinned alot afterwards. It was dark and I was seriously drugged up, I can't recall anything else.

We lost 2-0 after a couple of fairly close games. The left over time allowed us to throw a few more practise balls as the Joanie loves Bocce crew began to drift into the darkened bar.

Game two: Joanie Loves Bocce

At about this point I had a conversation with Jim. I can't quite recall the detail but it ended with me going to the bar thinking, "Ah fuck it, a beer or two isn't going to kill me". I think Jim may have been expounding the virtues of afternoon drinking on an empty stomach, a heavy cold and a system full of flu medication. But I'm not sure.

After this point it got even hazier.

There was a girl from Joanie Loves Bocce (we beat them 2-0) wearing a "Scotland's for Me" T shirt. I had had a conversation with Dan about rivalries the previous Wednesday. I had told him that if he ever wore a Scottish t shirt it would annoy me. Lo and Behold, opposition girl in a Scottish t shirt! I managed to hold back but i do recall asking for the tape measure when it wasn't really required. That's what Scotland does to me.

By the way, 3 Brooklyn Lagers, Dayquil and an absence of food, not a good recipe for health, but sort of fun.

1 comment:

Listmaker said...

if you want my bocce are ready to kick some ass. we came together as a group! let's go!